RF and Microwave Design at K-State
Doppler Radar designed and built in ECE764
Full Resume in PDF (last updated Jan 2015)
Ph.D. 1995 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
MSEE 1982 Georgia Institute
BSEE 1979 Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University
1983-1993 Georgia Tech Research Institute
1982-1982 NASA Ames Research Center
Aerospace and Communications Corporation
Selected Journal/Conference Publications
Linked files below are provided to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders (e.g. IEEE). All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by those copyrights. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of thecopyright holder.
- Andrew D. Fund, William B. Kuhn, J. Ambrose Wolf, Ryan J. Eatinger, Kaoru U. Porter, Michael D. Glover, and H. Alan Mantooth,"Metal Layer Losses in Thin-Film Microstrip on LTCC," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMPONENTS, PACKAGING AND MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY, V. 4, No 12, pp 1956-1962, December 2014.
- Mohammed Taj-Eldin, William B. Kuhn, Amelia Hodges Fowles, Bala Natarajan, Garrett Peterson, Muhannad Alshetaiwi, Shuo Ouyang, German Sanchez, and Erin Monfort-Nelson, "Study of Wireless Propagation for Body Area Networks Inside Space Suits," IEEE SENSORS JOURNAL, VOL. 14, NO. 11, pp. 3810 - 3818, Nov. 2014.
- Kuhn, William; Eatinger, Ryan; Melton, Steven, "ESD Detection Circuit and Associated Metal Fuse Investigations in CMOS Processes," IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, pp. 146-153, March, 2014.
- Dwight Day, Xiongjie Dong, William Kuhn, Don Gruenbacher, Balasubramaniam Natarajan, Tim Sobering, Mohammed Taj-Eldin, Steve Warren, Thomas Barstow, Ryan Broxterman, Arlie Stonestreet II, "Biomedical Sensing and Wireless Technologies for Long Duration EVAs and Precursor Scout Missions," Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, March 1 - 8, 2014.
- Mohammed Taj-Eldin, William Kuhn, Balasubramaniam Natarajan, and Garrett Peterson "Investigation of Practical Antennas for Astronaut Body Area Network," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE), pp. 1-7, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, October 30 – 31, 2014.
- Steven Melton, Weston Burress, Andy Fund, William Kuhn, and Andrew Rys, "Commercial Electronic Components and Silicon-on-Sapphire ICs at Extreme Cryogenic Temperatures," Poster presented at International Cryogenic Materials Conference 2014 conference, University of Twente in Enschede, Netherlands, May 2014.
- Taj-Eldin, Mohammed, Kuhn, William, and Natarajan, Balasubramaniam, "Study of Radio Channel for Biomedical Sensors in Spacesuits," ACM BodyNets '13, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks, Pages 302-306, 2013.
- Amelia Hodges, Mohammed Taj-Eldin, Erin Monfort-Nelson, William B. Kuhn, and Balasubramaniam Natarajan, "Intra-Suit Wireless Link Propagation Study and Measurements: Part of Biosensor Networks and Telecommunication Subsystems for Long Duration Missions, EVA Suits, and Robotic Precursor Scout Missions NASA EPSCOR Project NNX11AM05A," NASA 2013 Human Research Program Investigators' Workshop, Feb 11-14 2013.
- Mohammed Taj-Eldin, Bill Kuhn, Amelia Hodges, Bala Natarajan, Garrett Peterson, Muhannad Alshetaiwi, Shuo Ouyang, German Sanchez, and Erin Monfort-Nelson, "Wireless Propagation Measurements for Astronaut Body Area Network," IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE), Baltimore MD, Nov 7-9, 2013.
- Chelsi Kovala and William B. Kuhn, “Characterizing Spurious Responses in Radio Receivers,” IEEE 2013 Topical Meeting on Radio and Wireless Systems (RWS).
- Matthew J. Clewell and William B. Kuhn, “Comparison of Silver vs. Gold Systems in High-Q FTTF LTCC Inductors,” 45th International Symposium on Microelectronics, IMAPS 2012.
- R. Bhandavat, W. Kuhn, E. Mansfield, J. Lehman and G. Singh1, "Synthesis of Polymer-derived Ceramic Si(B)CN-Carbon Nanotube Composite by Microwave Induced Interfacial Polarization," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2012, 4 (1), pp 11–16.
- William B. Kuhn, "Loss Mechanisms and Quality Factor Improvement for Inductors in High-Resistivity SOI Processes," IEEE SiRF conference (Part of Radio and Wireless Week, previously RAWCON), January 2012.
- Boutz, A. P.; Kuhn, W. B., "Performance of High-Q Inductors in LTCC Using FTTF Techniques," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Volume: 1 , Issue: 8, Page(s): 1125 - 1131, 2011.
- Anil Pahwa, William B. Kuhn, Ruth Douglas Miller, Andrew Rys, Chris Eldridge, Scott Geier, Jeff Schuler, Matt Morley, Ian Sobering, Jonathan Stacks, " Educational and Research Challenges and Opportunities Related to Renewable Energy," 41st ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 12 - 15, 2011.
- Jack Murray, Wayne Huebner, Matthew J. O'Keefe, Kristina Wilder, Ryan Eatinger, William Kuhn, Daniel S. Krueger, J. Ambrose Wolf, "Sputter deposition of thin film MIM capacitors on LTCC substrates for RF bypass and filtering applications", IMAPS Conference, 2011.
- William B. Kuhn and Adam P.Boutz, "Measuring and Reporting High Quality Factors of Inductors Using
Vector Network Analyzers", IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and
Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, pp. 1046 – 1055,
- Jeongmin Jeon,; Kuhn, WilliamB., "A 400 to 500-MHz CMOS Power Amplifier with multi-Watt output,"
IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, pp. 272 - 275, January 2009.
- Xiaohu Zhang; Burress, ThomasWeston; Albers, Keith B.; Kuhn, William B., "Propagation comparisons at
VHF and UHF frequencies" IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, pp. 244-247,
- Adam Boutz and William B.
Kuhn, "Measurement and Performance of Embedded LTCC Inductors Utilizing
Full Tape Thickness Feature Conductors," IMAPS/ACerS 5th International
Conference and Exhibition on Ceramic Interconnect and Ceramic Microsystems
Technologies (CICMT 2009), January 2009.
- Tyler Van Slyke, William B.Kuhn, Balasubramaniam Natarajan, “Measuring Interference from a UWB Transmitter
in the GPS L1 Band,” IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, pp. 887-890, January 2008.
- Kuhn, W., Lay, N. E.,Grigorian, E.; Nobbe, D.; Kuperman, I.; Jeon, J.; Wong, K.; Tugnawat, Y.; He,
X., "A Microtransceiver for UHF Proximity Links Including Mars
Surface-to-Orbit Applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 95, Issue
10, pp. 2019-2044, Oct 2007.
- J. Jeon and W.B. Kuhn, “A UHF CMOS transceiver front-end with a resonant TR switch,” IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 2007.
- Kuhn, W.; Lay, N.; Grigorian, E.; "A UHF proximity micro-transceiver for Mars exploration," 2006 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 4-11 March 2006.
- Tugnawat, Y. and Kuhn, W., “Low temperature performance of COTS electronic components for Martian surface applications,” IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2006, 4-11 March 2006.
- William B Kuhn, Balasubramaniam Natarajan and Don Gruenbacher, "Work in Progress: A Comprehensive Design Experience Based on Product Development across Multiple courses," 36th annual Frontiers in Education Conference, San Diego, California, October 28 - 31, 2006.
- Don Gruenbacher, Balasubramaniam Natarajan and William B Kuhn, "Work in Progress: An Integrated Laboratory Experience - A new environment for teaching communications," 36th annual Frontiers in Education Conference, San Diego, California, October 28 - 31, 2006.
- W. Kuhn; N. Lay; and E.Grigorian, “A Low-Volume, Low-Mass, Low-Power UHF Proximity Micro-Transceiver
for Mars Exploration,” 12th NASA Symposium on VLSI Design, Oct 4-5,
- Y. Tugnawat; and W. Kuhn,“Low Temperature Performance of COTS Electronic Components for Future Mars
Missions,” 12th NASA Symposium on VLSI Design, Oct 4-5, 2005.
- W. B. Kuhn, M. Mojarradi, and A. Moussessian, “A resonant
switch for LNA protection in watt-level CMOS transceivers,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, pp. 2819 - 2825, Sept. 2005.
- Xin He and William B. Kuhn,
“A 2.5 GHz Low-power, High-dynamic range, Self-tuned Q-Enhanced LC filter in
SOI,” IEEE Journal of Solid State
Circuits, pp. 1618-1628, Aug 2005.
- W. B. Kuhn, Xin He, M. Mojarradi, "Modeling spiral
inductors in SOS processes", IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol.
51, (2004), p. 677-683, May 2004.
- W. B. Kuhn, D. Nobbe, D.
Kelly, and A.W. Orsborn, “Dynamic Range Performance of On-Chip RF Bandpass
Filters,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits
and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, pp. 685-694, October
- Erik J. Brandon, Emily Wesseling, Vincent Chang and William
Kuhn, “Printed microinductors on flexible substrates for power applications”
IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, pp. 517-523, Sept.
- N. M. Ibrahim, and W. B. Kuhn, “An approach for the calculation of magnetic field within square spiral inductors at low frequency,” International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices, and Fields, 15:339-354, 2002.
- William B. Kuhn, Aaron W.
Orsborn, Matthew C. Peterson, Shobak R. Kythakyapuzha, Aziza I. Hussein , Jun
Zhang, Jianming Li, Eric A. Shumaker, and Nandakumar C. Nair, "Spiral
Inductor Performance in Deep-Submicron Bulk-CMOS with Copper
Interconnects," Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated
Circuits (RFIC) Symposium, pp. 385-388, 2002.
- W. B. Kuhn and N. M. Ibrahim,
"Analytical Modeling of Current Crowding Effects in Multi-turn Spiral
Inductors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , pp.
31-38, Jan. 2001.
- W. B. Kuhn, D.R. Hummels, and S. A. Dyer, "A
Senior-Level RF Design Course Combining Traditional Lectures with an
Open-Laboratory Format," Frontiers in Education Conference, September
- Kuhn, W. B., Design of Integrated, Low-Power, Radio Receivers in BiCMOS Technologies, Ph.D. Dissertation, Bradley Department of Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, December 1995.
- Cox, F. L., Kuhn, W. B., Murray, J. P., and
Tynor, S. D., XSPICE Mixed-Mode Circuit Simulator, Source code and User/Design documents, Distributed by
Georgia Tech Research Institute, 1993 - Present. Used in several commercial simulators.
- Cox, F. L., Kuhn, W. B., Murray, J. P., and
Tynor, S. D., “Code-Level Modeling in XSPICE ,” Proceedings IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1992 (ISCAS ’92), vol. 2, pp. 871-874, 10-13 May, 1992.
- William B. Kuhn, "A Real-Time Pitch Recognition Algorithm for Music Applications," Computer Music Journal, vol. 14, no. 3, Fall 1990.
A Few Links
To: Kansas State University Home Page
Kansas State University Electrical and
Computer Engineering Department Home Page
Last Update: 12 March 2015