Theory and design of robust complex networks
PI: Caterina Scoglio (ECE)
Co-PI: Rob Kooij (ECE)
Students: Sakshi Pahwa (ECE), Ali Sydney (ECE), Mina Youssef (ECE), Sarah Kubler (ECE).
The Power Grid, the Internet, and the transport network are examples of complex systems. In contrast to simple systems, complex systems show emergent behaviors caused by the unpredictable yet rare non-linear interactions of their numerous social, physical and cyber components. Complex systems can experience disruptive and massive failures, such as the blackout of the Northeastern states or the halt on maritime and rail operations in the UK and Australia. Our research aims at 1) determining theoretical characteristics of robust complex networks and 2) improving the robustness of the power grid by implementing mitigation strategies against cascading failures, using a network representation of the power grid.
Presentations & Publications
- Sakshi Pahwa, Amelia Hodges, Caterina Scoglio, Sean Wood "Topological Analysis of the Power Grid and Mitigation Strategies Against Cascading Failures" Proceedings of the 4th Annual International IEEE Systems Conference, April 5-8 2010, San Diego, USA.
- Sakshi Pahwa, Caterina Scoglio, Noel Schulz, "Topological Analysis and Mitigation Strategies for Cascading Failures in Power Grids" under revision for journal publication.
- Robert Kooij, Mina Youssef, Caterina Scoglio "Viral Conductance: Quantifying the Robustness of Networks with respect to Virus Spread" Accepted for publication 2011.
- Robert Kooij, Phillip Schumm and Caterina Scoglio, “A new measure for robustness with respect to virus spread” Proceedings of IFIP Networking 2009.
- Ali Sydney, Caterina Scoglio, Mina Youssef, Phillip Schumm "Characterizing the Robustness of Complex Networks" Int. J. Internet Technology and Secured Transactions, Volume 2, Nos 3/4, pp. 291-320, 2010.
- Caterina Scoglio, Robert Kooij, Phillip Schumm, Ali Sydney and Mina Youssef "Metrics for Robustness in Complex Networks" Poster presented at "Complex Systems Conference" National Academies Keck Futures Initiative, November 12-15, 2008, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center, Irvine, CA.
- Ali Sydney, Caterina Scoglio, Phillip Schumm and Robert Kooij "ELASTICITY: Topological Characterization of Robustness in Complex Networks" Proceedings of IEEE/ACM Bionetics 2008.